The mission of the MSSM Science Department is to provide a challenging core curriculum in the areas of biology, chemistry, and physics. Diverse electives are also offered to cultivate and sustain individual student interests. The synergy between our core and elective classes allows for a depth of inquiry and breadth of discovery that prepares students for the successful study of science at the college level, and for careers in science, medicine, and engineering.
In our department you can:
- Learn science from professional practicing scientists.
- Dissect an assortment of organisms and organs.
- Create glow-in-the-dark bacteria.
- Perform DNA restriction analysis, electrophoresis, and PCR.
- Use computer integrated and interfaced lab stations.
- Learn to use sophisticated analytical lab equipment.
- Learn to communicate effectively in the language of science (written and oral).
- Help blow things up and torture gummi bears.
- Play with slinkies, study forces on a rotating chair, and take a dunk in a barrel of water -- all in the name of physics.
- Learn the physics behind real world phenomena.
- Synthesize smelly organic compounds.
- Watch a lunar eclipse in your pj's.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Physics C
- Computational Biology
- Honors Chemistry
- Honors Physics
- Physics B
Dr. Debbie Eustis-Grandy, Department Chair/Biology
Mr. Lawrence Berz, Astronomy
Mr. Dave Dougan, Chemistry
Ms. Deb McGann, Chemistry
Dr. Sarah Bernard, Physics
Mr. Hendrik Lenferink, Physics/Natural Sciences