MSSM YIG 2023
Over the Veterans Day weekend in 2023, a group of 23 academically driven students from the Maine School of Science and Mathematics (MSSM) showcased their legislative acumen at the Youth in Government program in Augusta. This year's event was a resounding success for MSSM, with its students playing pivotal roles in the passage of 12 bills, demonstrating their deep engagement with a variety of pressing societal issues.
The range of bills passed included topics as diverse and significant as:
- Presumed Organ Donation, addressing the vital need for organ donors.
- Creation of More Public Bike Lanes in Maine Cities, promoting sustainable transport and public health.
- Increasing Food Options for Individuals with Plant-Based Diets in Schools, reflecting the importance of dietary diversity and inclusivity.
- Standardizing Inclusive Health Education in High Schools, aiming to modernize and make health education more relevant and encompassing.
- Protecting Books from Being Banned in Schools, ensuring the freedom of information and resisting censorship in educational materials.
These topics not only highlight the breadth of issues MSSM students are keenly aware of but also their ability to think critically and propose constructive solutions. Their active participation in the Youth in Government program underscores their commitment to making a positive impact on society. It also reflects the ethos of MSSM, which fosters not just academic excellence, but also empathetic leadership and innovative thinking among its students.