Dual Enrollment & Advanced Placement
Many MSSM courses are college level and beyond. Students must meet prerequisites in order to register for AP classes. These prerequisites vary from class to class (refer to the course catalog). Any student taking an AP class must take the AP exam for that class.
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP Physics C
- AP Psychology
- AP Statistics
- AP US History
University of Maine at Presque Isle Credit
Under a Partnership Agreement with the University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI), MSSM students may receive college credit for many of their MSSM classes. An MSSM student who wishes to receive UMPI credit for an MSSM course must be matriculated and deemed eligible for any relevant coursework according to MSSM's placement procedures. MSSM students not matriculating in the UMPI Liberal Arts A.A. Program (see below) will receive 12 credit hours per academic year tuition free as outlined by the Maine Department of Education. However, any credit hours over 12 will be charged the Early College rate of $138.25 per credit hour.
Associate's Degree Program
Students interested in pursuing a dual degree should notify their advisor who will arrange a meeting with the MSSM College Counselor. As part of that process students will develop a plan that will specify the courses required at each institution, with equivalent courses noted, to earn an Associate of Arts at UMPI and a diploma at MSSM. In the weeks following graduation from MSSM, students who have successfully completed all qualifications for the Science and Mathematics concentration within the Liberal Studies plan of study (minimum of 64 UMPI credit hours or their equivalent) shall receive an Associate of the Arts degree from UMPI.
- Student Enrollment Concurrent enrollment is initiated via ExplorEC, the portal for Early College at Maine's Public Universities. Once students register through the Early College program, they can select from a list of available UMPI/MSSM Dual Enrollment courses.
- Reporting of Grades The instructor of each UMPI concurrent enrollment course will submit their grades to MSSM by the regular deadline established by MSSM. Within seven business days of that deadline, the MSSM Registrar will report the grades of each student enrolled in each UMPI approved course to the UMPI Registrar.
- Student Services Concurrent enrollment students will have access to all college academic and student support services including, but not limited to libraries, electronic library resources, writing centers, tutorial services, assessment, admissions, and academic advisement. Some services are available only on UMPI’s campus. Concurrent enrollment students will be issued a free UMPI ID card that is good for 3 years, a replacement charge for lost ID's will be assessed. Students have the option of purchasing a $45 semester sticker to utilize the Gentile Hall facilities. Students with disabilities may be provided services as identified by their IEP through the high school. At no time may accommodations exceed those offered by UMPI as a college-level course, or exceed those allowable by law.
- Transcripts MSSM students wishing to receive transcripts of their UMPI credits may do so by submitting a Transcript Request to the UMPI Registrar’s Office.
- Leaves of Absence/Withdrawals MSSM will notify the UMPI Registrar in writing if a student is granted a leave of absence or withdraws from an UMPI concurrent enrollment course. If the student does so prior to UMPI MSSM’s deadline for add/drop withdrawing from a class, then the UMPI Registrar will not enter a grade for the course. If the student does so after UMPI MSSM’s deadline, then the UMPI Registrar will assign a “W/grade” for the course.
- Financial Considerations MSSM students who are matriculating in the UMPI Liberal Arts A.A. Program will be charged $70 per credit hour for credit hours over the 12 credit hours offered free, but only for courses outlined in the Liberal Arts A.A. Program agreement between UMPI and MSSM. Any courses taken outside of the UMPI Liberal Arts A.A. Program will be charged the Early College rate of $138.25 per credit hour.
University of New England (UNE) Transfer Partnership Program
In this partner program, MSSM students who earn college credit with Maine School of Science and Mathematics Advanced Placement (AP) courses and transfer credits from University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) get a head start on a bachelor’s degree at the University of New England.
By completing designated AP and UMPI courses students receive priority consideration for admission and merit scholarships to enter with sophomore standing at the University of New England. The information that follows is taken directly from the UNE Partnership Program flier.
Qualifying scores necessary to receive credit for advanced placement are recommended by the academic departments and are approved by the University Registrar. They are treated as transfer credit in accordance with the following table.