The mission of the MSSM Science Department is to provide a challenging core curriculum in the areas of biology, chemistry, and physics. Diverse electives are also offered to cultivate and sustain individual student interests. The synergy between our core and elective classes allows for a depth of inquiry and breadth of discovery that prepares students for the successful study of science at the college level, and for careers in science, medicine, and engineering. The overarching values of the MSSM Science Department are as follows: have students actively doing science, offering courses with breadth and depth of topic coverage which challenge students, and reinforcing connections among mathematics, the sciences, and humanities.
In our department you can:
- Learn science from professional practicing scientists.
- Dissect an assortment of organisms and organs.
- Create glow-in-the-dark bacteria.
- Perform DNA restriction analysis, electrophoresis, and PCR.
- Use computer integrated and interfaced lab stations.
- Grow hydroponic fruits and vegetables for the cafeteria
- Learn to use sophisticated analytical lab equipment.
- Learn to communicate effectively in the language of science, both in writing and orally.
- Help blow things up and torture gummi bears.
- Conduct computational research on large data-sets.
- Play with slinkies, study forces on a rotating chair, and shoot projectiles -- all in the name of physics.
- Learn the physics behind real world phenomena.
- Synthesize smelly organic compounds.
- Watch a lunar eclipse in your pj's.
NOT all classes offered every year